My Blog List

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Literary Element: Conflict

"I see no occasion for that. You and the girls may go, or you may send them by themselves." (Page 2)
The opening of the book Pride and Prejudice has a few literary elements, but one in particular is conflict. When Mrs. Bennet talks to her husband about Mr. Bingley and their daughters. She was trying to get her husband to take their daughters to meet Mr. Bingley because he is rich and in the hopes of Mr. Bingley choosing to fall in love and marry one of their daughters. But Mr. Bennet  had the tone that made it seem like he was oppose to his wife's wishes.

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you explained yourself in this post. But I agree to what he did. I mean I wouldn't want my spouse to boss me around. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nancy; you clearly explained the tone of the message under toning this quote. But I wish I would have kept on reading and heard a bit more of your opinion about why Mr. Bennet may not have wanted to have gone with his daughters if it would have helped them with their wishes on getting married. Overall, wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of them! I thought he was being rude at first and i thought it was wierd because it sounded like his wife was just pleading and begging on her knees just so he could meet one guy. It sounded like he really didnt want to go and it was kinda making me mad until he suprised them.

    -Tiana Smith

    ReplyDelete